Weather Alert – U. S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada
September 9, 2021
Event: Hurricane Larry – Environment Canada has issued a Hurricane Watch and Tropical Storm Watch for Hurricane Larry.
Location: Atlantic Canada (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia)
Environment Canada expects that Hurricane Larry will impact eastern Newfoundland this Friday with wind, rain, and large waves. Various weather models predict the storm to track across the Avalon Peninsula or just offshore to the east. At this time, Environment Canada anticipates a period of heavy rainfall lasting a few hours as the storm tracks through, even if the center passes offshore to the east of the Avalon. A period of strong winds of similar duration will also occur.
Ocean swell will arrive along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia and southern Newfoundland on Thursday. These waves will be particularly large on Friday, presenting a hazard to those close to the water. As the storm approaches eastern Newfoundland on Friday evening, Environment Canada expects that dangerous breaking waves will arrive along the southern Avalon Peninsula, even if the storm’s center tracks a bit to the east. Depending on the storm’s track, storm surge may also be a concern there.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news and weather stations for updates.
- Monitor Environment Canada’s public weather alerts for your area at https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html
- Gather needed supplies, including food, water, medications, etc.
- Make contingency plans to evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
- In the event of a power outage – only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
The U.S. Consulate General is located at 1969 Upper Water Street, (Purdy’s Wharf Tower II) Suite 904, Halifax, Canada and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. You can reach us at 1-902-429-2480 during business hours. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is 1-902-429-2480, extension 1. Our e-mail address is Halifax-ACS@state.gov.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.