Weather Alert – U. S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada
September 5, 2019
Event: Hurricane Dorian – Environment Canada has issued a Weather Information Statement for Hurricane Dorian
Location: Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, St Pierre and Miquelon)
Hurricane Dorian is expected to severely impact parts of the Atlantic provinces this weekend. Based on the latest forecast guidance, the most likely track projection brings Hurricane Dorian south of the Maritimes on Saturday, September 7, pushing through eastern Nova Scotia late in the day, and then over western Newfoundland by Sunday morning.
As with any hurricane or tropical storm, expect strong winds and power outages (some prolonged), heavy rains and storm surge with possible flooding, and difficult travel conditions on land, sea and air throughout Atlantic Canada. Severe winds and rainfall will have major impacts for southeastern New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Western Newfoundland, and the Quebec Lower North Shore. There will also be large waves, especially for the Atlantic coasts of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and eastern portions of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news and weather stations for updates.
- Monitor Environment Canada’s public weather alerts for your area at https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html
- Gather needed supplies, including food, water, medications, etc.
- Make contingency plans to evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Avoid travel on highways unless absolutely necessary.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
- In the event of a power outage – only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
The U.S. Consulate General is located at 1969 Upper Water Street, (Purdy’s Wharf Tower II) Suite 904, Halifax, Canada and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. You can reach us at 1-902-429-2480 during business hours. Our e-mail address is Halifax-ACS@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 1-902-429-2480, extension 1.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.