Weather Alert – U. S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada
September 20, 2020
Event: Hurricane Teddy – Environment Canada has issued a Tropical Cyclone Information Statement for Hurricane Teddy
Location: Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island)
Hurricane Teddy is expected to impact parts of the Atlantic provinces Tuesday, September 22 and Wednesday, September 23. Based on the latest forecast guidance, Hurricane Teddy is expected to reach offshore waters south of Nova Scotia as a category one hurricane on Tuesday, September 22 in the afternoon. It is then expected to move through eastern Nova Scotia and southwestern Newfoundland as a strong post-tropical storm Tuesday night and Wednesday, September 23.
As with any hurricane or tropical storm, expect strong winds and power outages, heavy rains, and storm surge with possible flooding, and difficult travel conditions on land, sea and air throughout Atlantic Canada. Storm surge is likely for parts of the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia on Tuesday, September 22, and southwestern Newfoundland on Wednesday, September 23. There is also a chance of storm surge for Prince Edward Island and the Magdalen Islands late on Tuesday, September 22.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news and weather stations for updates.
- Monitor Environment Canada’s public weather alerts for your area at https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html
- Gather needed supplies, including food, water, medications, etc.
- Make contingency plans to evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
- In the event of a power outage – only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
The U.S. Consulate General is located at 1969 Upper Water Street, (Purdy’s Wharf Tower II) Suite 904, Halifax, Canada and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. You can reach us at 1-902-429-2480 during business hours. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 1-902-429-2480, extension 1. Our e-mail address is Halifax-ACS@state.gov.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.