Weather Alert: Tropical Storm Chris – U.S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada (July 9, 2018)
Location: Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador)
Event: Environment Canada has issued a Tropical Cyclone Information Statement for Tropical Storm Chris – now forming in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of North Carolina (https://weather.gc.ca/hurricane/statements_e.html). Tropical Storm Chris is forecast to move in a northeastward direction and gain strength and by late Tuesday or early Wednesday this storm could attain hurricane status. At this time it appears this storm could approach Nova Scotia by Thursday, likely weakening slightly as it does so.
There is a good deal of uncertainty at this time in the forecast track and intensity of this system. The Canadian Hurricane Center has been closely monitoring this storm and if the current forecast track remains as is the Canadian Hurricane Center will issue bulletins on this system beginning tomorrow morning.
As with any tropical storm or hurricane, expect strong winds and power outages (some prolonged), heavy rains and storm surge with possible flooding, and difficult travel conditions on land, sea and air throughout Atlantic Canada. For information on hurricane and tropical storm readiness, visit: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Monitor Environment Canada’s public weather alerts for your area (https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html) and Tropical Storm Track Information (https://weather.gc.ca/hurricane/track_e.html) for updated storm tracking information.
- Make contingency plans to evacuate if told to do so.
- Gather needed supplies, including food, water, medications, pets’ needs. Emergency kit examples can be found at:
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- In the event of power outages – only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- U.S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada – 902-429-2480 – ext. 1 (24/7 U.S. Citizen Emergency Line)
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Canada Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates (https://step.state.gov/step/)
Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/usconsulatehalifax/) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/usconshalifax)