Event: Hurricane Fiona – Environment Canada has issued a Hurricane Watch for Hurricane Fiona.
Location: Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador), Eastern Quebec
The Canadian Hurricane Centre forecasts that Hurricane Fiona is expected to impact all of Atlantic Canada and parts of eastern Quebec beginning on Friday night. The center of the storm is expected to make landfall in eastern Nova Scotia and Cape Breton early on Saturday, and then reach the Lower Quebec North Shore and Southeastern Labrador early Sunday. Fiona will produce heavy rainfall that could lead to flooding and hurricane force winds throughout the region, potentially causing prolonged and widespread utility outages. There will also be rough and pounding surf and large waves, and coastal flooding will be a threat. Similar cyclones of this nature have produced structural damage to buildings. Road washouts are also possible.
Hurricane and tropical storm watches are now in effect for most areas in the region. Many areas will see these watches upgraded to warnings tonight.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news and weather stations for updates.
- Monitor provincial Emergency Management Organizations’ guidance.
- Monitor Environment Canada’s public weather alerts for your area at https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html
- Gather needed supplies, including food, water, medications, etc.
- Make contingency plans to evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
- In the event of a power outage – only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
The U.S. Consulate General is located at 1969 Upper Water Street, (Purdy’s Wharf Tower II) Suite 904, Halifax, Canada, and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is 902-429-2480. Our e-mail address is Halifax-ACS@state.gov.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.