Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are for citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation. The applicant must be coming to the United States to engage in substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, in qualifying activities, principally between the United States and the treaty country (E-1), or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the applicant has invested a substantial amount of capital (E-2).
How to apply for an E-visa in Canada?
There are several steps to apply for a visa.
- Gather all documentation pertaining to your E-visa application. Please carefully review the relevant tabs on the Related Treaty Trader Pages for a detailed listing of the required documents.
- Complete and submit the Online Visa Application (DS-160) along with your uploaded photo.
- Print the bar-coded DS-160 confirmation page which must be submitted with your application.
- Complete and submit Form DS-156E (not required for dependent family members)
- Create a user profile; pay the visa application fee for yourself and any accompanying family members; and follow the step by step instructions provided at our information and appointment service provider’s website.
- Appear for your interview at the U.S. Consulate. See list of prohibited items.
- If issued, your passport, visa, and documents will be returned to you via Canada Post Courier service. Processing time is normally 3-5 business days after the interview. However, processing time may vary and there is no guarantee that your visa will be ready within this time frame. We urge travelers to apply as early as possible and to not make firm travel plans before the passport with visa has been received.
How are E-visas processed in Canada?
E-visa applicants are responsible for ensuring that they apply under the appropriate visa classification and submit the required documentation that pertains to their applications. In Mission Canada E-visa applications are sorted into two processing streams based on the time needed to review the required documentation. For a comprehensive list of supporting documentation by application type, please consult the appropriate tab at right.
- New Cases and Renewals – First-time applicants and those wishing to renew the registration status of their E-visa company must apply in Toronto and will be provided with instructions how to electronically submit their application and supporting documents to the U.S. Consulate in Toronto via firstname.lastname@example.org. See side bar for list of supporting documentation for new cases and renewals. Only applications in the queue for “New Cases and Renewals” will be considered for company registration or re-registration. We require at least 10 business days to complete the review, so please do not inquire on the status of your pending application before then. Applicants will be provided with further instructions once the review has been completed.
- Employees of Registered Companies and Dependents – Employees of currently registered E-visa companies, and qualifying family members of current E-visa holders, may schedule the next available appointment in Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver or Toronto.
For more information about E-visas, please review our Frequently Asked Questions.