Transportation Letter

NOTE: The U.S. Consulate General in Montreal cannot issue transportation letters or replace a lost/stolen green card.

A lawful permanent resident of the United States is required to present a valid unexpired I-551 Form (Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a green cards) if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year.

If you are a lawful permanent resident wishing to return to the U.S. soon and don’t have an I-551 (green card) for one of the following reasons:

  • Lost;
  • Stolen;
  • Expired conditional green card;
  • Expired 10-year green card;
  • Not yet received, and the stamp affixed in your passport “Processed for I-551” has expired;

You will need to follow the steps below:

  1. Report your lost/stolen green card (I-551) to the local police office and get a police report on the incident. Please have two (2) photocopies with you.
  2. Complete form I-90 (100KB PDF) (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and make two (2) photocopies. Instructions to complete form I-90 (64KB PDF).
  3. Complete form I-193 (280KB PDF) (Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa) and make two (2) photocopies if you want to reenter the United States without the alien’s passport and/or visa.
  4. Make two (2) photocopies of your passport (biographic data page and all pages that contain entry stamps in the U.S.) (if available).
  5. Make two (2) photocopies of your green-card (if available).
  6. Get four (4) passport size photographs.
  7. Go to the nearest Port of Entry to the USA and present yourself to the U.S. Customs and Border Officer for further processing.