NOTE: The U.S. Consulate General in Montreal cannot issue transportation letters or replace a lost/stolen green card.
A lawful permanent resident of the United States is required to present a valid unexpired I-551 Form (Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a green cards) if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year.
If you are a lawful permanent resident wishing to return to the U.S. soon and don’t have an I-551 (green card) for one of the following reasons:
- Expired conditional green card;
- Expired 10-year green card;
- Not yet received, and the stamp affixed in your passport “Processed for I-551” has expired;
You will need to follow the steps below:
- Report your lost/stolen green card (I-551) to the local police office and get a police report on the incident. Please have two (2) photocopies with you.
- Complete form I-90 (100KB PDF) (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and make two (2) photocopies. Instructions to complete form I-90 (64KB PDF).
- Complete form I-193 (280KB PDF) (Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa) and make two (2) photocopies if you want to reenter the United States without the alien’s passport and/or visa.
- Make two (2) photocopies of your passport (biographic data page and all pages that contain entry stamps in the U.S.) (if available).
- Make two (2) photocopies of your green-card (if available).
- Get four (4) passport size photographs.
- Go to the nearest Port of Entry to the USA and present yourself to the U.S. Customs and Border Officer for further processing.