Fiancé (K) visas are issued to non-U.S. citizens for the purpose of traveling to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen. A K visa will allow a Canadian citizen (or citizens of other countries with status in Canada) to remain in the U.S. and apply for permanent resident status following the marriage. General information on fiancé visas and starting the process can be found on

K visas are issued in Canada at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal. K-3 visas are no longer being processed in Canada. Please select one of the following list to find more specific information on the processing of fiancé visas in Canada and visit our information center:

Follow the list below for a step-by-step guide to the fiancé visa process in Canada.

  • Step 1: File a petition (I-129F) with USCIS.
  • Step 2: Once the petition has been received from USCIS at the National Visa Center, you will be notified. Once the National Visa Center sends the case to U.S. Consulate General Montreal, the Visa Unit will send you scheduling and appointment preparation instructions via email (Packet 3).
  • Step 3: Prepare for and schedule the Medical Examination.
  • Step 4: Schedule an appointment.
  • Step 5: Prepare for and attend the interview.
  • Step 6: Understand the Visa Approval / Refusal process.
  • Step 7: Receive your Visa.

During the entire visa application and interview process, you must tell the truth and give complete and accurate information. If you do not, your visa will be delayed or you may be found ineligible for a visa.