Most visitors to the United States enter the country on a tourist or business visitor visa (B1/B2 visas), but there are visa categories corresponding to every purpose of travel, including students (F1) and temporary foreign workers (H1B).
When you have determined which category of visa is appropriate for your reason for entering the United States, please ensure that you have compiled the supplementary documentation required for your visa class by completing the following steps:
- Select the visa category appropriate for your reason for entering the U.S.
- Complete and electronically submit the visa application form
- Ensure that you have compiled the required documentation, including photos and fee for your visa category.
- Determine which Consular section is most convenient to you.
- Schedule an appointment for your visa interview.
All expedited appointment requests are processed through the regular appointment scheduling program. To request an expedited visa appointment, please register through the normal process and follow the prompts for expedited service. The decision to grant an expedited appointment is made on a case-by-case basis, but generally requests are accommodated if the applicant can demonstrate a legitimate need. A legitimate need includes travel for a bona fide medical or humanitarian crisis, or when faced with an unexpected academic, government, performance, professional sport, presentation, or business demand that could not be predicted sufficiently in advance.