Social Security

Information on U.S. Social Security enrollment and benefits can be found at the website of the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations and will no longer be offering social security assistance through the United States Embassy or Consulates in Canada.  Individuals residing in Canada who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact their nearest SSA field office in the United States.

The United States Embassy and Consulates across Canada can no longer accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.

For questions regarding your application or your benefits, residents in Canada can find their designated field office on the SSA website for Canada.  SSA may require you to appear in person to submit your SSA application.

For general information on SSA services for people living outside the United States, please visit

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.