Notarial Services

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Notarial and authentication services are one of the oldest traditional U.S. consular functions, dating back to 1792. Consular officials at any U.S. embassy or consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary or local government official and then have the document authenticated by a U.S. consular officer.

U.S. citizens and nationals of other countries may use the Embassy’s notarial services.

NOTE: Notarial services are also available in any U.S. state.  You may contact a U.S. notarial office in urgent cases as they may have more availability.

For information concerning remote notarial and authentication services, we direct you to the following recently updated Department of State webpage. Please note that remote notarial services may only be provided in accordance with the laws and regulations of the U.S. state that commissioned the notary public and the laws of the state or country where the document is notarized.

To schedule a notarial appointment, please review our Consular Operations webpage to schedule an appointment at your nearest Consular Section.

Services we can provide:

On the day of your appointment, please make sure to:

  • Appear in person and bring a valid government-issued photo ID (U.S. or foreign) with your signature (such as passport, driver’s license or ID card). The name on your identification must match your name on the document you need notarized;
  • If the service you need require a signature, you must bring the document(s) that need(s) your signature UNSIGNED. The document(s) will have to be signed before a Consular Officer. Even if there are pages that do not require signatures or seals, you must present the entire document(s);
  • Ensure that documents are organized in page order and kept separate from each other with a paper clip. The Embassy/Consulate staff cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation;
  • Ensure that you understand the content of your documents, where you need to sign and which of your signatures need to be notarized, as our staff will not be able to explain these items to you;
  • If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, bring appropriate documents showing your capacity to sign for the corporation;
  • Verify in advance if your document requires witness(es). The ACS Unit staff cannot serve as witnesses. If your document requires the signature(s) of witness(es), you must bring your own (along with their proof of identity) on the day of your appointment. Please make sure they are legally qualified to serve as a witness (i.e., not a minor or incompetent). We will not be able to offer partial services. All those whose signatures, including witness(es), will be notarized at a particular post, must appear on the same day;
  • The fee for the notary services listed below is US$50 per consular seal. Fees are paid upon request at the day of your appointment. Fees are accepted in the form of a bank or postal money order in U.S. funds payable to “U.S. Consulate General” or “U.S. Embassy”. Credit cards are only accepted in person. We cannot accept payment by debit card. Please note that U.S. Consulate General Toronto only accepts cash, in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Canadian dollars, as a form of payment for notarial services.
  • Notarial service fees are per seal and signature required, not per document notarized.
  • Be aware that the consular officer may refuse any notary service when:
    1. The host country does not authorize the performance of the service,
    2. The document will be used in transactions that may be prohibited by U.S. law,
    3. The officer believes that the document will be used for a purpose that is unlawful, improper, or inimical to the best interests of the United States,
    4. The officer does not understand the document due to language, the documents are incomplete, or any other reason.
    5. The person does not understand the nature and language of the instrument and is unable to comprehend the significance of the act or appears to be acting under duress.

If you are unprepared for your appointment you may be required to make a new appointment on a later day.

A Sworn Statement made by you. We cannot advise you on the specific language needed in your Affidavit, please consult a lawyer or other legal advisor for that type of assistance. Please keep in mind the consular office assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations that appear in the affidavit.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

An acknowledgement of execution is used for legal agreements, business documents, deeds, powers of attorney, financial, or real estate transaction documents such as Grant Deed, Warranty Deed, Bill of Sale, Closing Affidavit, Assignment of Lease Disbursement Instructions, Wills, etc. If you are signing a document on behalf of a company you must bring the company’s social contract that proves you may sign on its behalf;

Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization. The Embassy/Consulate cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation. If your documents are not ready for signature, you may be asked to make a new appointment.

Prepare your document(s) and be sure to complete the document(s) as much as possible before the appointment.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

A consular officer can take a true copy of a U.S. passport.  Any person may present the passport to be copied.  The appointment must be made in the name of the person attending.

This service is available only if you are applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and need to have your identification verified before sending your application to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States.

For specific information about ITIN, please contact the IRS directly at When attending your appointment, you must bring your original passport.

There is no legal requirement that a minor traveling alone have written authorization to enter the United States.  However, CBP (Customs and Border Protection) can always stop someone if they have questions.  CBP therefore recommends that minors travelling with one or neither parent carry a notarized travel authorization in English.  Please see this CBP webpage for more info.

Parents seeking a notarized travel authorization MUST come in person with their complete but unsigned document. You should only sign your document when directed to do so by the Consular Officer.

If you are applying for a U.S. passport service for a child under 16 years of age, and only one parent is able to appear at the Embassy or Consulate, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053), along with a copy of his/her government-issued valid photo I.D with signature.

This service is fee exempt.

In order to redeem U.S. savings bonds in a foreign country, the registered owner’s signature on the bond must be verified by a United States diplomatic or consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The registered owner must submit the bond(s) and proper identification, including their Social Security Number and mailing address. There is no fee for this notarial service, for which the bond holder should make an appointment.  Questions regarding U.S. savings bonds including redemption should be directed to the Department of the Treasury, or their U.S. Savings Bonds website.


U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases. Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

  • Authentication, certification, or certified copies of public documents issued in the United States such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificates; commercial records, driver’s license, and other credentials.
  • Academic credentials, transcripts or degrees
  • Certified true copies of non-U.S. documents, such as Thai birth certificates
  • U.S. Apostilles
  • Signature or Medallion guarantees
  • Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge
  • Criminal background check