Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

U.S. citizens applying for permanent residence and some other services in Canada may be required to furnish FBI and local police certificates from the United States. These police certificates usually require fingerprinting. To learn more about how to obtain the records needed, please visit:

A fingerprinting services provider. These service providers operate throughout Canada. Please consult the Internet to find a provider near you.

Signature Verification at a Consulate

In order to redeem U.S. savings bonds in a foreign country, the registered owner’s signature on the bond must be verified by a United States diplomatic or consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The registered owner must submit the bond(s) and proper identification, including their Social Security Number and mailing address. There is no fee for this notarial service, for which the bond holder should make an appointment.

More Information

Questions regarding U.S. savings bonds including redemption should be directed to the Department of the Treasury, or their U.S. Savings Bonds website.

U.S. Citizens living or traveling outside of the U.S. are urged to register their travel plans with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This will allow the U.S. Embassy to notify U.S. citizens in the event of a disaster, emergency or other crisis; and to facilitate evacuation coordination.

U.S. Citizens living in Canada or planning a visit to Canada are encouraged to register online at the STEP web site.


The Department of State will not disclose the information you provide in your registration application to any third parties unless you have first given written authorization to do so, or unless the disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.

The U.S. Embassy is aware there is a shortage of potable water in Iqaluit, Nunavut.  For updates on the evolving situation, please monitor the City of Iqaluit’s website:

More than 300,000 people cross the U.S.-Canada border every day. However, many Canadian laws significantly differ from those of the United States, including restrictions on who may enter the country and what they may bring with them. For more information on traveling to Canada, please visit the State Department website.

The Canadian Government also offers specific information on what items foreigners may bring into Canada, as well as what goods may be subject to Canadian taxes and duty fees.