Apply for a Passport

Note: If you were born in Canada, please visit our page on citizenship claims to determine if you qualify for a U.S. passport.

If you qualify for U.S. citizenship and are located in Canada, you may submit Form DS-11 at a U.S. consulate or the Embassy in Canada if one of the following conditions applies:

  • You are a first-time applicant for a U.S. passport;
  • You are renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
  • You are applying for the replacement of a lost, stolen or mutilated passport; or
  • You are renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16.

We strongly encourage you to bring a pre-paid, self-addressed Canada Post Express envelope with you to your appointment so that we can mail your passport to you when it is ready.

If you are in the United States, you can apply for your passport at a passport acceptance facility. To locate the closest facility, please visit the State Department website.

If your passport was lost or stolen, please follow the instructions on the Lost or Stolen Passport section of this website.

If you require an emergency passport due to a lost/stolen passport or you have emergency travel, make an appointment through the regular appointment system. Then please send an email to the American Citizens Services section at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate, explaining your situation and the date by which you need your passport. Please note that emergency passports are not issued outside of normal business hours.