Citizenship Services

Do you need to schedule an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit? Please go here to see appointment times and availability at the U.S. Embassy Ottawa or your closest U.S. Consulate General. Before scheduling, however, please read the below information.

What Service Do You Require?

If you were born outside the United States and have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen and are:

Adults who wish to claim U.S. citizenship, please submit the following documents to the American Citizens Services section of the U.S. Embassy or the consulate nearest to your residence.  Successful adult claimants of U.S. citizenship will be issued a U.S. passport.

Checklist for Adults Wishing to Claim Citizenship

  1. Form DS-11, completed but not signed.
  2. Applicant’s official long-form provincial birth record, showing complete information on the parents and the date the document was officially filed.
  3. Applicant’s Identification, such as a driver’s license, Canadian passport, or student I.D.
  4. Evidence of Applicant’s Name Change (if applicable). Note: Present your marriage certificates, divorce decrees, adoption papers, or court-ordered name changes. This is important for women whose last name has changed since birth because of marriage(s).
  5. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of Parent(s). U.S. passport, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate bearing the impression seal of the vital records office that issued it and including the date of filing. If you do not have a certified copy of your parents’ birth record, write to the vital records office in the state, county, or municipality where your U.S. citizen parent or parents were born. Many records from the turn of the century are not readily available. If none of the vital records offices listed above have a record, keep the replies and try to obtain secondary evidence, such as a census record or a baptismal record showing date and place of birth. All correspondence from these places must be submitted with your application. Note: If you were born before May 24, 1934, you will have acquired your U.S. citizenship through either your mother or your father. You need only submit evidence of U.S. citizenship for one or the other, not both. If you were born after May 24, 1934, to two U.S. parents, submit evidence of U.S. citizenship for both of them.
  6. Certified copy of the Parents’ Marriage Certificate.
  7. Documentary evidence of termination of any previous marriages of either parent (e.g., divorce decree, death certificate, etc.), if applicable.
  8. Evidence of your parent’s/parents’ residence/physical presence in the United States: If you were born between Jan. 13, 1941, and prior to Dec. 24, 1952, to one U.S. citizen parent, you will need to present evidence of the periods during which your U.S. citizen parent resided in the United States. If you were born on or after Dec. 24, 1952, to one U.S. citizen parent, you will need to present evidence of the periods during which your U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States. If you have two foreign-born U.S. citizen parents, you must present evidence that at least one of them resided in the United States prior to your birth. (Note: Physical presence is not the same as residence. For example, if a person was residing in the United States, but left for vacations or schooling abroad, the person was not physically present in the United States during those periods of time. Submit your parent’s Canadian Immigration Record showing original entry to Canada from the United States. Other evidence may be required by the Consul, such as school records, military records, employment records, etc. If you were born after Jan. 13, 1941, and your U.S. citizen parent is still living, have that parent complete the Affidavit of Parentage and sign it before either a U.S. Consular Officer or a Notary Public. If your parent is deceased, submit the death certificate and other evidence, as above.
  9. Follow the State Department guidance on photo requirements.
  10. Fee: Passport Fees can be found at this website.  We accept U.S. funds in the form of cash or money order. You may pay by: cash in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Canadian dollars; bank or postal money order, in U.S. dollars only, made payable to “U.S. Consulate General” or “U.S. Embassy”; or credit card.

Please note that we cannot accept personal checks or debit cards.

Please note: All documents must be originals. Copies of documents, including those certified by notaries, cannot be accepted. All documents submitted must be original records, bearing the official seal of the issuing authority.

Upon compilation of the above documents, please review our Consular Operations webpage to schedule an appointment at your nearest Consular Section.

If you are interested in information about how to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship in Canada, please send an email to You will receive a complete set of instructions and forms by email. General information is available at the State Department website.