New Online CRBA Application Feature – Toronto Only

  1. Required Supporting Documents Checklist
  2. Transmitting Citizenship
  3. New Online CRBA Application Feature – Toronto Only

You can apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Consulate General Toronto. To apply, your child must have been born in CANADA and your appointment can only be in Toronto.

Please note, that an in-person Toronto interview is required, in addition to completing an eCRBA application online. Completing an eCRBA application does NOT guarantee an immediate interview appointment.  Due to high demand and the Consulate’s precautions in place to help prevent spread COVID-19, interview slots are extremely limited.  You will not be able to schedule an interview appointment online.  The U.S. Consulate General Toronto will contact you via email to schedule an appointment when an interview slot becomes available.  Expect a significant wait time of over 60 days between submission of the eCRBA application and scheduling of an interview. 

If you wish to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa or the U.S. Consulates General in Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver you MUST complete a paper application (DS-2029). Please visit this page for detailed information.

Once you have submitted your payment, your application will be reviewed and we will contact you regarding the next step(s). If your application is incomplete, we will let you know so that you can send the missing information.  Once your application is complete, we will contact you directly to schedule your appointment.  Please note that appointments are limited and the online appointment system is unavailable at this time.

If you have immediate travel plans, please e-mail with your dates of travel.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.  We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online at U.S. Consulate Toronto, you must be able to answer YES to all of the following criteria

  • The child was born in CANADA
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Non-Citizen National when the child was born
  • You did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) in having your child for whom you are seeking a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • You can use a credit card or a direct payment from your U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application.
  • You are a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad.

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).  To apply using the paper application, please follow these procedures.

This new process will allow U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.  The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the CRBA application.

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal.  Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Toronto, Canada.

Passport applications must be completed and submitted separately.  You cannot submit a passport application payment online, you must pay at the Consulate on the day of your appointment.  As a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time.  Both applications may be submitted together at your scheduled CRBA appointment and the child and both parents must appear.  If one custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.  Other situations may not require two parents if the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent)
  • Court Order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e the absent parent has no access to the child). Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order.
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or death certificate of non-applying parent.