Security Alert – U. S. Consulate General Halifax, Canada
April 24, 2020
Location: Haliburton Heights, Hammonds Plain, Nova Scotia, Canada
Event: Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are investigating reports of shots fired in the Haliburton Heights area of Hammonds Plain, Nova Scotia, on Friday, April 24. The public is asked stay in their homes for their safety. Please follow instructions from local authorities and monitor local media for updates.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid Hammonds Plain and surrounding areas.
- Remain at home with doors locked.
- Keep a low profile and be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Follow instructions from local authorities and monitor local media.
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs.
The U.S. Consulate General is located at 1969 Upper Water Street, (Purdy’s Wharf Tower II) Suite 904, Halifax, Canada and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. You can reach us at 1-902-429-2480 during business hours. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 1-902-429-2480, extension 1. Our e-mail address is Halifax-ACS@state.gov.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
For further information about security in Canada:
See the Department of State travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Canada Country Specific Information.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.