Message to U.S. Citizens in Canada: Western NY Border Crossings Closed
November 22, 2023
Event: Western New York Border Crossings Closed
- All Western New York border crossings between the U.S. and Canada are closed until further notice.
- Local authorities are currently responding to an explosion that occurred on or near the Rainbow Bridge.
- Please monitor local media for updates.
Actions to Take:
Keep STEP Enrollment Active
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection for the latest on travel restrictions for entry to the U.S.
- state.gov’s Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada-specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites
- Canadian Government’s COVID-19 response website.
- COVID-19 Travel, quarantine, and borders for travel information related to COVID-19.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. To contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulates General please find the location closest to you here.