Message to U.S. Citizens in Canada:
Canada – Travel Advisory
August 10, 2021
Canada – Level 2 Travel Advisory
The Department of State has revised the Travel Advisory for Canada to Level 2 “Exercise Increased Caution.” The Centers for Disease Control has revised the Travel Notice for Canada to Level 2 due to COVID-19, indicating a moderate level of COVID-19 in the country. For additional details, see the Canada Travel Advisory.
If considering travel to Canada, please see the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before planning any travel. For more information about Canada, please see the country information page.
For full information Canada’s COVID-19 travel restrictions, including entrance requirements, please visit Canada’s COVID-19 Travel website.
Actions to Take
Keep STEP Enrollment Active
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. government websites
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection for the latest on travel restrictions for entry to the U.S.
- Travel.state.gov’s Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada-specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites
- Canadian Government’s COVID-19 response website.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. To contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulates General please find the location closest to you here.