Message to U.S. Citizens in Canada: Federal Voting Assistance Program
April 30, 2020
Event: Voting information for U.S. citizens in Canada
The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is working with U.S. government agencies to provide assistance to U.S. citizens in Canada in light of international mail disruptions, shifting election dates, and other effects on the 2020 election cycle due to COVID-19. FVAP encourages overseas citizens and active duty military to take the following steps to counter potential disruptions to host country mail operations:
Register and request a ballot through FVAP.gov. Use the Federal Post Card Application at FVAP.gov/FPCA to register and request an absentee ballot.
Consider requesting an electronic ballot: Voters in countries experiencing mail disruptions should choose an electronic option for receiving their election ballot.
Consider state ballot submission alternatives: Refer to state instructions on FVAP.gov for options to return ballots. Most states allow voters to submit ballots online. For the latest information on Canadian mail service, please refer to Canada Post’s COVID-19 page. The latest information on overseas voting during the COVID-19 situation can be found on FVAP’s COVID-19 Update page. FVAP can be reached by phone at 1-800-438-8683 (weekdays 7:30AM to 4:00PM EDT) or by email at email@example.com
Actions to Take:
Keep STEP Enrollment Active—
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites—
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for the latest travel restrictions for entry into the United States.
- Travel.state.gov Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites—
- Public Health Agency of Canada for information on the Canadian government’s response to COVID-19.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites—
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on—
- The Mission’s social media sites.
- The State Department’s Twitter and Facebook feeds.
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
U.S. Embassy Ottawa
490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 1G8
Telephone: +1 (613) 688-5335
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (613) 238-5335
Fax: +1 (613) 688-3082
U.S. Consulate General Montreal
1134, Rue Ste-Catherine West
Montreal, QC H3B 1H4
Telephone: +1 (514) 398-9695
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 645-9124
Fax: +1 (514) 398-9748
U.S. Consulate General Toronto
360 University Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S4
Telephone: +1 (416) 595-1700
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 595-6506
Fax: +1 (416) 595-5466
U.S. Consulate General Vancouver
1075 West Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Fax: +1 (604) 685-7175
U.S. Consulate General Halifax
Purdy’s Wharf Tower II
1969 Upper Water Street, Suite 904
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3R7
Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480, Press 1
Fax: +1 (902) 423-6861
U.S. Consulate General Quebec
2, rue de la Terrasse Dufferin
(Vieux Quebec, behind Chateau Frontenac)
Quebec, Quebec G1R 4T9
Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2095
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2096
Fax: +1 (418) 692-4640
U.S. Consulate General Calgary
615 Macleod Trail S.E.,
Calgary, Alberta, T2G 4T8
Telephone: +1 (403) 266-8962
Fax: +1 (403) 264-6630