Message to U.S. Citizens in Canada: Current Passport Renewal Procedures
April 7, 2020
Event: COVID-19 Update: Current Passport Renewal Procedures
- U.S. citizens should be aware that passport services are restricted due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. If your passport is lost or expired, you do not need an emergency passport to return to the United States via a land-border crossing. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers can work to verify U.S. travelers’ identity and citizenship at land borders, which may add to transit time. Additional information on documentation requirements is available from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
- Passport processing services at U.S. facilities are significantly reduced. Although U.S. citizens in Canada may still mail passport renewals to U.S. passport centers, applicants should expect significant delays receiving their passport and citizenship evidence documents in the mail. U.S. citizens should strongly consider waiting to apply until passport centers resume normal operations.
- The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General in Canada remain open on a limited basis for emergency U.S. citizen services, including emergency passports. Please email the U.S. Embassy or your nearest Consulate General in order to request an emergency service appointment. We are not accepting routine passport applications, consular reports of birth abroad, or notarial service appointments at present.
- Emergency passports are issued for emergency travel and have limited validity. If you need a U.S. passport because you have a pending Canadian immigration application, please review the guidance from the Government of Canada’s Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website on how their processes are impacted by COVID-19 and how you may request an extension on your application if it is not documentarily complete.
Actions to Take:
Keep STEP Enrollment Active—
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites—
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for the latest travel restrictions for entry into the United States.
- Travel.state.gov Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites—
- Public Health Agency of Canada for information on the Canadian government’s response to COVID-19.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites—
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on—
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
U.S. Consulate General Montreal
1134, Rue Ste-Catherine West
Montreal, QC H3B 1H4
Telephone: +1 (514) 398-9695
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 645-9124
Fax: +1 (514) 398-9748
U.S. Consulate General Toronto
360 University Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S4
Telephone: +1 (416) 595-1700
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 595-6506
Fax: +1 (416) 595-5466
U.S. Consulate General Vancouver
1075 West Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Fax: +1 (604) 685-7175
U.S. Consulate General Halifax
Purdy’s Wharf Tower II
1969 Upper Water Street, Suite 904
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3R7
Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480, Press 1
Fax: +1 (902) 423-6861
U.S. Consulate General Quebec
2, rue de la Terrasse Dufferin
(Vieux Quebec, behind Chateau Frontenac)
Quebec, Quebec G1R 4T9
Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2095
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2096
Fax: +1 (418) 692-4640