Canada Border Changes – August 9, 2021
Entry restrictions for foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) coming to Canada remain in place, but the Government of Canada has announced the easing of border measures for certain fully vaccinated travelers beginning at 12:01 am on August 9, 2021.
Effective August 9, 2021, U.S. citizens and permanent residents who currently reside in the United States, and who qualify as fully vaccinated travelers, will be able to enter Canada from the United States for discretionary travel (e.g., tourism) without quarantining provided they satisfy certain requirements. These requirements are: proof of approved COVID-19 vaccination(s) at least 14 days prior to entry to Canada, proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to arrival, and submittal of travel information in Canada’s ArriveCAN travel app. Travelers must be asymptomatic upon arrival. Travelers are encouraged to hand carry original copies of COVID vaccine certificates and PCR test results.
For full information Canada’s COVID-19 travel restrictions, including the changes scheduled to take effect on August 9, visit Canada’s COVID-19 Travel website.
Summary of Canadian Entry Requirements for August 9, 2021
- PCR Test: All travelers will continue to be required to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada. (Or, if flying, taken within 72 hours prior to boarding.)
- Vaccines: Fully vaccinated travelers will continue to be required to present proof of vaccination by Canada approved COVID-19 vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca (2 doses) or Johnson & Johnson (1 dose) at least 14 days prior to arrival.
- ArriveCan App: All travelers will continue to be required to submit their travel and contact information in Canada’s ArriveCAN system prior to arrival.
- Quarantine: A 14-day quarantine will not be required for fully vaccinated travelers, but all travelers must have an acceptable quarantine plan in case they don’t qualify for a quarantine exemption.
- Under 12 travelers: Children under 12 will be allowed entry without quarantine but must follow public health measures.
- Airport Updates: International flights will resume at the following airports: Halifax Stanfield International Airport; Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport; Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport; Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport; and Edmonton International Airport.
Actions to Take
Keep STEP Enrollment Active
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. government websites
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection for the latest on travel restrictions for entry to the U.S.
- state.gov’s Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada-specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites
- Canadian Government’s COVID-19 response website.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. To contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulates General please find the location closest to you here.