The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Canada are conducting an annual verification of STEP enrollments. Please log in to your STEP account to verify that your profile, phone numbers, email address, travel dates, and location in Canada are up-to-date. If you are not able to make those changes yourself, you can reach out to the Consular Section closest to you, and we can make the update for you. If you are visiting or living in Canada, and have not yet enrolled in STEP, we strongly encourage you to do so! STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Benefits of Enrolling in STEP:
- Receive important information from the U.S. Embassy or Consulates about safety conditions in Canada, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy or Consulates contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
Actions to Take:
Keep STEP Enrollment Active:
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites:
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection for the latest on travel restrictions for entry to the U.S.
- Travel.State.Gov’s Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada-specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites:
- Canadian Government’s COVID-19 response website
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites:
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on:
- The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. To contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulates General please find the location closest to you here.