Information on Voting for American Citizens In Canada

Are you registered to vote in your home state?

Do you want to know how you can get registered and vote absentee while you are residing here in Canada?

Are you part of a community organization that could help bring other Americans information on registration and voting in the U.S. while residing in Canada?

Americans residing in the Ottawa area are invited to the U.S. Embassy as we head into the 2014 midterm election cycle.

What: Foreign Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) information session
When: January 29, 2014, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Where: Embassy of the United States of America, 490 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario

Please RSVP to A U.S. Passport will be required for entry.

Representatives from the Department of Defense’s Foreign Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) will visit Ottawa to provide Embassy employees, spouses, dependents, and interested American citizens information about registration and voting, and about becoming a Voting Assistance Officer. Voting Assistance Officers are volunteers who assist fellow American citizens in obtaining information about how to register to vote in the United States, and how to cast ballots on Election Day. Volunteer or community organizations that can also assist American citizens with registration and voting are welcome to send a representative.

If you would like to learn more about this program, or volunteer to assist fellow American citizens in exercising their vote, we invite you to join us for this information session.

General information for American citizens on registering to vote and voting in U.S. elections is available on our website, or through the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP).

Please note that the U.S. Embassy and Consulates General in Canada do not hold elections or run ballot stations. Elections are administered by the 50 States (and five territories), and each jurisdiction will have its own procedures. American citizens who wish to register for, and vote in, Federal or State/Local elections must contact their home State or territory to obtain information on how to register, and how to obtain absentee ballots.