Health Alert, U.S. Embassy Ottawa, Canada
April 3, 2020
Event: International commercial flight options currently exist in Canada. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government has no plans to arrange repatriation flights in Canada at this time. The U.S. border remains open to all essential travel, which includes U.S. citizens returning home.
- As of April 2, 2020, Canada had 11,283 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders. Authorities continue to investigate additional suspected cases. The Public Health Agency of Canada publishes daily updates on the number of cases at the national and provincial levels.
- The Public Health Agency of Canada warns that the risk of contracting COVID-19 will vary between and within communities, but given the increasing number of cases in Canada, the risk to those residing in Canada is high.
- The Government of Canada’s COVID-19 website provides links to a wide-range of COVID-19 information, including a COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool, which asks a series of questions to evaluate the user’s symptoms and risk of exposure to COVID-19. The tool will advise the user to either visit an emergency room, call telehealth, self-isolate at home or do nothing. It also includes links to provincial and territorial resources on COVID-19.
- The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures that require mandatory 14-day self-isolation for all individuals entering Canada, regardless of their current health status, including U.S. citizens. Please refer to the Government of Canada COVID-19 Travel Advice for detailed information.
Actions to Take:
- Encourage U.S. citizen friends and family to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy and Consulates can contact them with updated information. If you plan to remain in Canada beyond your previously planned travel dates, remember to modify your STEP profile in order to continue to receive information and emergency alerts.
Monitor the following U.S. Government websites—
- Embassy webpage for information on conditions in Canada.
- Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet for information on COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico.
- CDC website for the most up-to-date health information.
- COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information.
- Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for the latest travel restrictions for entry into the United States.
- Travel.state.gov Canada Information and Travel Advisory page for Canada specific information.
Monitor the following Canadian Government websites—
- Public Health Agency of Canada for information on the Canadian government’s response to COVID-19.
- Canada Border Services Agency for all information on entry and exit requirements to Canada.
Monitor the following additional suggested websites—
- Airlines, buses, trains, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Follow us on—
- The Mission’s social media sites.
- The State Department’s Twitter and Facebook feeds.
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are continually monitoring the current situation in Canada and continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
U.S. Embassy Ottawa
490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 1G8
Telephone: +1 (613) 688-5335
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (613) 238-5335
Fax: +1 (613) 688-3082
U.S. Consulate General Montreal
1134, Rue Ste-Catherine West
Montreal, QC H3B 1H4
Telephone: +1 (514) 398-9695
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 645-9124
Fax: +1 (514) 398-9748
U.S. Consulate General Toronto
360 University Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S4
Telephone: +1 (416) 595-1700
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 595-6506
Fax: +1 (416) 595-5466
U.S. Consulate General Vancouver
1075 West Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Fax: +1 (604) 685-7175
U.S. Consulate General Halifax
Purdy’s Wharf Tower II
1969 Upper Water Street, Suite 904
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3R7
Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480, Press 1
Fax: +1 (902) 423-6861
U.S. Consulate General Quebec
2, rue de la Terrasse Dufferin
(Vieux Quebec, behind Chateau Frontenac)
Quebec, Quebec G1R 4T9
Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2095
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2096
Fax: +1 (418) 692-4640
U.S. Consulate General Calgary
615 Macleod Trail S.E.,
Calgary, Alberta, T2G 4T8
Telephone: +1 (403) 266-8962
Fax: +1 (403) 264-6630