- Positions Open to All Interested Candidates / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizens Only / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) Only
- Positions Open to Current Employees of the Mission
- Internships for U.S. Citizens
- Internships for Canadian Citizens & Permanent Residents
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members
- U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Officer Program
- U.S. Citizen Veterans
When equally qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Preference candidates must meet the required qualifications to be considered for a position. It is essential that candidates address each of the six required qualifications detailed in the vacancy announcement by identifying them and addressing how the applicant meets that requirement.
When applying for posted vacancies, it is important that preference candidates identify themselves accordingly in their cover letter or in the subject line of the email if submitting electronically.
For purposes of receiving preference in hiring, an USEFM must be:
- a U.S. Citizen; and
- an EFM (see definition below); and
- at least 18 years of age; and
- listed on the travel orders of a direct-hire Foreign, Civil or uniformed service member assigned to or stationed abroad with a USG Agency that is under COM authority, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan.
In addition, they must either:
- reside at the sponsoring employee’s or uniformed service member’s post of assignment abroad or at an office of the American Institute of Taiwan; or
- reside at an Involuntary Separation Maintenance Allowance (ISMA) location authorized under 3 FAM 3232.2.
Definition of EFM (Eligible Family Member)
An individual related to a USG employee in one of the following ways:
- Spouse or same sex domestic partner (as defined in 3 FAM 1610);
- Child, who is unmarried and under 21 years of age or regardless of age, is incapable of self-support. The term shall include, in addition to natural off-spring, step-children and adopted children and those under legal guardianship of the employee or the spouse when such children are expected to be under such legal guardianship until they reach 21 years of age and when dependent upon and normally residing with the guardian;
- Parent (including step-parents and legally adoptive parents) of the employee or of the spouse; when such parent is at least 51% dependent on the employee for support;
- Sister or brother (including step-sisters or step-brothers or adoptive sisters or brothers) of the employee, or of the spouse, when such sibling is at least 51% dependent on the employee for support, unmarried and under 21 years of age, or regardless of age, incapable of self-support.