- Positions Open to All Interested Candidates / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizens Only / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) Only
- Positions Open to Current Employees of the Mission
- Internships for U.S. Citizens
- Internships for Canadian Citizens & Permanent Residents
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members
- U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Officer Program
- U.S. Citizen Veterans
There are internships and student programs managed by our headquarters, the U.S. Department of State, in Washington, D.C. Approximately fifty percent of the internships are in Washington, D.C. The remaining internships are at embassies and consulates abroad, including our posts in Canada. Students must apply to the Department of State for these internships. Students tentatively selected for this program must undergo a background investigation and receive either a Secret or Top Secret security clearance.
The State Department offers three internship programs throughout the year:
- Summer: mid-May to end of September
- Fall: mid-October to end of December
- Spring: mid-January to end of April
The deadline for submission of applications for the Summer program is November 1st. The deadline for the Fall program is March 1st. July 1st is the deadline for the Spring program.
For additional information on these programs, please visit the State Department’s career website. Click on student employment programs and then search student internships.