- Positions Open to All Interested Candidates / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizens Only / All Sources
- Positions Open to U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) Only
- Positions Open to Current Employees of the Mission
- Internships for U.S. Citizens
- Internships for Canadian Citizens & Permanent Residents
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members
- U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Officer Program
- U.S. Citizen Veterans
Welcome to the Human Resources Home Page!
This page provides information for applicants to consider when applying for a position at the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consulates General.
How to Apply for a Vacancy
It is our policy that we do not accept general applications for employment. Applications will only be accepted for vacancies that are advertised on our website. To view vacancies, please visit the pages linked above. If an applicant wishes to apply for more than one position, separate application for each position is required.
To be eligible for employment at the U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates General, applicants must have legal status to work in Canada.
Canadian Citizens are eligible to apply for vacancies for which they are qualified.
To apply for employment, all applications must include:
- A cover letter addressing each of the six required qualifications detailed in the job announcement by identifying them and addressing how the applicant meets each of the qualifications.
- Resumes will not be accepted. It is a requirement that all applicants fill out the DS-174 Universal Application Form Word (56KB .DOC) /PDF (197KB PDF).
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFM’s) and U.S. Veterans are preference candidates and should identify themselves accordingly on the application. Candidates who claim U.S. Veteran preference must include a copy of their DD-214 (Report of Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States).
- Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, educational requirements) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position.
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada (i.e. copy of passport, birth certificate, permanent residency card, etc.)
Note: We do not accept applications via SkyDrive. Please ensure that your documents are in Word or PDF formats.
U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Citizen Veterans that are eligible for employment in Canada will be considered preference candidates. Preference candidates must meet the required qualifications to be considered for a position. When applying for posted vacancies, it is important that preference candidates identify themselves accordingly in their cover letter or in the subject line of the email if submitting electronically.
In addition, U.S. Citizen Veterans must attach a copy of their DD-214 (Report of Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States).
To Apply for a Vacancy
Applications will only be accepted until 11:59 p.m. time zone specific to the job location on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The U.S. Mission in Canada provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.