Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Ottawa, Canada
March 23, 2018
Location: Announced gathering points include the following neighborhoods in Ottawa, Canada:
- The downtown area from Parliament Hill to the Byward Market.
Event: The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that a demonstration is expected to take place near the U.S. Embassy on Saturday, March 24, 2018 between 11:00 am and 12:30 p.m. Local authorities are aware of the demonstration and will be on site. U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas during the scheduled hours of the demonstration.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
The U.S. Embassy is located at 490 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Canada K1N 1G8 and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm on Monday to Friday. You can reach us at 1-613-688-5335 during business hours. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is 1-613-688-5335. Our e-mail address is Ottawaacs@state.gov.
State Department – Consular Affairs (888)407-4747 or (202)501-4444
For further information about security in Canada:
- See the Department of State travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Canada Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter