Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General, Vancouver, Canada
March 23, 2018
Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following neighborhoods in Vancouver, Canada:
- Downtown: Jack Poole Plaza
- Downtown: Vancouver Art Gallery
- Downtown: U.S. Consulate General Vancouver
Event: The U.S. Consulate advises Americans that demonstrations are expected to take place on March 24, beginning at 12:00 noon. Local authorities are aware of the demonstration and will be on site. U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas during the scheduled hours of the demonstration.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstration.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- The U.S. Consulate in Vancouver is located at 1075 West Pender, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 2M6, and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 16:30 p.m. Pacific Time on Monday through Friday. You can reach us at 1-604-685-4311 during business hours. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate is 1-604-685-4311
For further information about security in Canada:
- See the Department of State travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Canada Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays.)