COVID-19 Information – Canada

Last updated September 09, 2022 at 12:35pm EST.

All non-immigrant, non-U.S. citizen air travelers to the United States must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.  In addition, fully vaccinated foreign nationals may also enter the United States at land ports of entry (POE) and ferry terminals.

Exemptions will be considered on an extremely limited basis.  Please contact your nearest embassy or consulate to apply for an exemption.  Please visit the CDC webpages for more information about exemptions and the requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States.

Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter the United States by air, land, or sea.

Fully vaccinated foreign travelers are able to travel to the United States across the Northern and Southwest borders with Canada and Mexico. U.S. citizens and LPRs do not need to provide proof of vaccination status at land POEs and ferry terminals.  Please visit the Department of Homeland Security webpages for fact sheets and frequently asked questions.

Country-Specific Information:

  • All travelers in Canada must be fully vaccinated in order to travel by most air, rail, or passenger vessels. In addition, some provinces or individual businesses may continue to limit discretionary activities, such as visits to restaurants, bars, gyms, and retail shops, to individuals who can provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please consult for updated information on travel restrictions, proof of vaccination, provincial regulations, and related items. If requested to provide Canadian proof of vaccination, please visit for additional information. Please visit this website for additional information on health regulations in Saint Pierre et Miquelon (a French overseas territory).

  • Are either PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Canada? Yes
  • If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
  • COVID-19 testing is available throughout Canada for medical purposes. Costs for private testing for travel purposes vary widely and can exceed $300.
  • This Government of Canada website contains information about COVID-19 testing in Canada and includes a link to the COVID-19 information websites of each province and territory.
  • If you are seeking COVID-19 testing solely to comply with air travel requirements to the United States or other countries, you should check with your air carrier or travel representative for the latest information.
  • Has the government of Canada approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
  • Are vaccines available in Canada for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
  • Which vaccines are available in Canada?  This Government of Canada website provides information about COVID-19 vaccines in Canada.
  • Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
  • The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
  • Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter?  Yes
  • Fully vaccinated travelers, including those engaging in non-essential travel (travel for tourism or recreation), may enter Canada.  For more information on entry restrictions, see the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) website here. All travelers must use the ArriveCAN system to enter their traveler information, including proof of vaccination, before arriving in Canada.  For additional information on travel for fully vaccinated individuals, please click here.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry?  No, as of April 1, 2022.
    • Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land, or water.  Please review the regulations here.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
    • Upon arrival to Canada, as well as towards the end of their 14-day quarantine, non-vaccinated travelers by land and air are required to take a COVID-19 molecular test.  In addition, fully vaccinated travelers may be required to also take an on-arrival COVID-19 test. For more on these requirements, please click here.
    • Fully vaccinated travelers who are permitted to enter Canada may be subject to federal requirements to quarantine while they await the results of their on-arrival test.  For more information on travel for fully vaccinated individuals, please click here.
    • All passengers on flights departing or arriving at Canadian airports are required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering that covers their mouth and nose.
  • Land Travel Considerations:
    • Land borders may be operating at reduced capacity and with limited hours. Visit CBP and CBSA for details on land border crossings.
    • All travelers must use the ArriveCAN system to enter their traveler information, including proof of vaccination, before arriving in Canada.
    • For more information on entering Canada at a land border, please click here.
  • Air Travel Considerations:
    • All travelers must use the ArriveCAN system to enter their traveler information, including proof of vaccination and quarantine plans, before arriving in Canada.
  • If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer), you need to apply for a visitor record. A visitor record is a document that gives you status as a visitor in Canada, allows you to stay longer and includes a new expiration date. You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires.
  • If you have a work permit that is about to expire or you need to make changes to it, you should apply to extend your work permit or change the conditions on it. You need to apply at least 30 days before your current work permit expires. You cannot extend your work permit beyond the expiration date of your passport.
  • If you have a pending Canadian immigration application and your U.S. passport has expired, please see the Government of Canada’s webpage on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration, refugee, citizenship, and passport operations. You may be eligible for an extension on your application if it is not documentarily complete due to COVID-19.
  • Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? Yes
    • Travelers entering Canada must present a credible 14-day quarantine plan.  Information on what constitutes a credible quarantine plan is available on the Public Health Agency of Canada’s website here.
    • Fully vaccinated travelers who are permitted to enter Canada are generally not subject to the federal requirement to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test towards the end of quarantine.  For more information on travel for fully vaccinated individuals, please click here.
  • Are commercial flights operating? Yes
  • Is public transportation operating? Yes
    • Most localities require passengers wear masks on public transport, including taxis, trains, and buses
  • Violations of rules regarding social distancing, movement restrictions, and mask mandates can result in fines and/or imprisonment.  In particular, failure to comply with border restrictions may be considered an offense under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to $750,000 in fines, and/or imprisonment of up to 6 months.

U.S. Embassy Ottawa
490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario

U.S. Consulate General Montreal
1134 Rue Ste- Catherine West
Montréal, Quebec H3B 1H4
Telephone: +1 (514) 398-9695
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 645-9124
Fax: +1 (514) 398-9748

U.S. Consulate General Toronto
360 University Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S4
Telephone: +1 (416) 595-1700
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (416) 595-6506
Fax: +1 (416) 595-5466

U.S. Consulate General Vancouver
1075 West Pender Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6E 2M6
Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (604) 685-4311
Fax: +1 (604) 685-7175

U.S. Consulate General Halifax
Purdy’s Wharf Tower II
1969 Upper Water Street, Suite 904
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3R7
Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (902) 429-2480, Press 1
Fax: +1 (902) 423-6861

U.S. Consulate Winnipeg
201 Portage Avenue, Suite 860
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 3K6
Telephone: +1 (204) 940-1800
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (403) 266-8962 and press “0” for assistance (Consulate General Calgary)
Fax: +1 (204) 940-1809

U.S. Consulate General Quebec 
2, rue de la Terrasse Dufferin
(Vieux Quebec, behind Chateau Frontenac)
Quebec, Quebec G1R 4T9
Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2095
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +1 (418) 692-2096
Fax: +1 (418) 692-4640

U.S. Consulate General Calgary 
615 Macleod Trail S.E.,
10th Floor
Calgary, Alberta, T2G 4T8
Telephone: +1 (403) 266-8962
Fax: +1 (403) 264-6630

For assistance: